A Message to Parents and Families

Dear Stormy Petrel Parents and Families,

I am excited to welcome you and your student to a new academic year at Oglethorpe University, and grateful that you have chosen to be part of this diverse and supportive community!  

The start of the semester is a time of renewal and promise. Throughout this first week of classes, I have heard from many students how thrilled they are to be on campus—to see their peers and faculty face-to-face, to walk our beautiful campus, and to simply have the complete college experience. Our faculty and staff are equally thrilled. In a matter of days, the campus has come back to life with laughter, learning, activity—and a sense of community. 

Thank you for entrusting your student to Oglethorpe during these fluctuating times. The entire Oglethorpe community is committed to their success both in and out of the classroom. Part of that commitment is preserving the health and well-being of the community as the pandemic continues to evolve. I also want to thank you for encouraging your student to help us achieve a community vaccination rate of more than 90%. As I met many of you during welcome weekend events, I know that we share in the goal of providing a healthy environment where our students can flourish. 

In a note I sent to all students earlier this week, I encouraged them to remember that every moment counts. As their parents and champions, please continue to encourage them to leverage the opportunities that allow them to pursue their academic goals, make memories, and thrive. 

I am filled with hope for the coming year. Rest assured that Oglethorpe’s faculty and staff will do everything we can to encourage your student to grow and meet the challenges of the moment. The talent and potential of our students is astounding, and I look forward to witnessing and celebrating their achievements in the coming year!   

Best, 

Nick Ladany, Ph.D.

President, Oglethorpe University