Happy Holidays!

Dear Oglethorpe Community,

You will join the students on winter break beginning tomorrow, and I want to take this
opportunity to say “thank you” for all of your hard work this semester and wish you and
yours “Happy Holidays!”

Fall Semester was full of highlights for me:
Achieving the largest total enrollment in Oglethorpe’s history.
The men’s soccer team reaching the Division III national championship tournament.
Men’s soccer coach Jon Akin being named Southern Athletic Association coach of the
year.
Second-year student Tatum McBride and Oglethorpe Theatre being nominated for
Suzi Bass Awards.
Opening the interfaith prayer room.
The Oglethorpe University Museum of Art hosting the “Documenting the
Undocumented in the South” exhibit by Yehimi Cambrón.
Hosting the first-ever first-generation student support conference.
Having Business Administration and Politics double-major Gloria Okwueze selected
to attend the American Enterprise Institute’s First Generation Student Forum in
Washington, D.C.
The Student Government Association beginning a new tradition with the first-ever
“Stormy Gratitude Day.”
Psychology lecturer Dr. Chris Martin co-authoring a study on scientific censorship in
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a leading international research
journal.
Getting to go into the studio for a live interview with WABE’s Rose Scott on her
“Closer Look” show, and so much more.

This was the semester when I was able to feel the support of our entire campus and alumni
community when the Board of Trustees entrusted the presidency of this great institution to
me and challenged me to continue the positive momentum we experienced together over
the past few months. I will not soon forget the historic day when I was privileged to
become the first woman to serve as Oglethorpe’s president.

This has been an important and memorable semester at Oglethorpe, and I’m so glad I was
able to share it with you. Thank you for all the ways you supported our students and
worked for their success. You have all earned a rest, and I hope you are able to recharge
during the break.

I look forward to seeing you all back on campus in the new year. We have even more to
accomplish together in 2024.

Happy Holidays!

Kathryn

Kathryn McClymond, Ph.D. (she/her)
President